Monday, November 21, 2011

Zeke

I can't say enough good things about Zeke.  We have been together for 4 years now and he has taught me more than I can ever say.  We have had our up and downs but he has never given up on me, clueless as I have been.   He has not taught me just about trialing and sheep and competing but about pride, loyalty and being true to who you are.  He never tries to pretend to be something he is not. 
He has taught me that winning is not everything... that its not really important at all.  Sometimes just walking off the field and being happy with a small part of yourself and your dog is more rewarding than a silly blue ribbon.  Be happy with what you have accomplished today and don't beat yourself up for failures... live through it, learn from it and then go out, practice some more and do better the next time.
 He has taught me that what other people think doesn't really matter.... most times they only see a tiny part of the picture or what they want to see. 
He has taught me the importance of how my feelings, thoughts and actions affect others.  If you have a positive attitude others around you will too.
He has taught me patience and focus and timing. He has shown me how to read sheep.  He has helped me not to be so selfish.  He has taught me how to be happy with me and what I do.  He has taught me that I really don't know everything.  He has given me the ability to be a better partner.  He has taught me how to trust.
He has taught me a very obvious fact of life.... at the end of the day, win or lose, if you are doing what you love to do.... then that day was a good day.  This simple dog has taught be to be a better person in all aspects of my life. 
I have made many, many mistakes with him.  His honesty, kindness and sacrifices have helped me in so many ways.  Every time I work him he teaches me something more.  I am just now learning what a great dog he really is.  This guy has a sense of honor that I will never find in another dog. 
He humbles me everyday.
Picture taken by my  good friend, Barb.  Thanks!

1 comment: